Sept. 5, 2006 | The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) College of Medicine Hall of Fame welcomed 14 new members during Alumni Weekend Aug. 25-26.
Nominees from both 2005 and 2006 were inducted at the ceremony, which was held at the alumni banquet at the Peabody Hotel. The Hall of Fame was established in 2004 as part of the College of Medicine’s 125th anniversary event.
The purpose of the Hall of Fame is to recognize outstanding achievement by College of Medicine graduates and faculty. Inductees are selected based on the following criteria:
• Leadership or accomplishment in research, teaching, service, clinical care, support and philanthropy
• Service to humanity through his or her profession and/or personal achievement
• Peer leadership in his or her profession and community
• Character that represents the values and ideals of UAMS
• Demonstration of continued support and interest in UAMS
2005 College of Medicine Hall of Fame Inductees
Robert S. Abernathy, M.D., Ph.D.
Robert Abernathy, M.D., Ph.D., arrived at UAMS in 1957 when he was recruited from the University of Minnesota to the Department of Internal Medicine. Ten years later he was named department chairman, a post he held for a decade.
Abernathy directed the Division of Infectious Diseases after his term as chairman, and he remains a professor emeritus. In honor of his dedication to internal medicine, the Arkansas Chapter of the American College of Physicians named its annual laureate award after Abernathy. In 1983, College of Medicine alumni presented him the Distinguished Faculty Award.
Willis E. Brown, M.D.
Willis E. Brown, M.D., was the newly elected president of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) in 1968 when he called on his colleagues nationwide to strive to address the “total health and welfare” of their patients and their families. By that time, Arkansas women and the UAMS College of Medicine had already benefited from Brown’s two decades of service as a professor and chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
In addition to his leadership in obstetrics and gynecology, Brown contributed a historical paper on the evolution of medical education in Arkansas. He died at age 59 less than a year after becoming president of the ACOG.
Kingsley W. Cosgrove Sr., M.D.
Kingsley Cosgrove Sr., M.D., worked tirelessly to eradicate trachoma, a blinding bacterial eye infection, in Arkansas during a long and successful career as an eye specialist and educator.
Cosgrove taught in the UAMS College of Medicine from 1928 until his death in 1964, receiving the university’s Distinguished Service Award in 1963. In addition to his position at UAMS, Cosgrove was a supervisory ophthalmologist for the state Welfare Department. He also established a private practice with his son, fellow College of Medicine graduate Kingsley Cosgrove Jr., M.D.
William J. “Pat” Flanigan, M.D.
William J. “Pat” Flanigan, M.D., launched Arkansas’ first kidney transplant program at UAMS in 1964. The 1955 College of Medicine graduate trained in Boston at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital with the team that had earlier performed the first long-term successful transplant. He also trained at Harvard Medical School and at UAMS.
A nephrologist, Flanigan joined the College of Medicine faculty in 1963, became a full professor in 1972 and directed a clinical research center at UAMS that investigated immunosuppressive drugs, kidney disease and other transplantation issues. UAMS awarded him the Distinguished Faculty Award in 1976. In 1988, Flanigan joined the staff at Baptist Medical Center, where he was director of the Renal Transplant Service. He died in 1993 at age 62.
Fred O. Henker III, M.D.
Fred Henker III, M.D., specialized in psychosomatic illness, death and dying, and treating patients dually diagnosed with mental and physical illnesses during his long career at UAMS.
He graduated from the College of Medicine in 1945, completed a rotating internship in the U.S. Marine Hospital in Baltimore and served four years in the U.S. Public Health Service. After residency training, he became chief of the psychiatry service at Veteran’s Hospital in Jackson, Miss. He returned to UAMS as a member of the Department of Psychiatry faculty in 1958, and retired as a professor emeritus in 1989.
Henker served on many medical boards and was president of the Arkansas Psychiatric Society and the Arkansas Medical Society. The Pulaski County Medical Society awarded him the President’s Award for a lifetime of contributions to medicine in 2003. He died in 2005 after a long battle with Parkinson’s disease.
G. Thomas Jansen, M.D.
Tom Jansen, M.D., helped establish the College of Medicine’s dermatology program in the late 1950s and 1960s, where he later served as professor and department chairman.
Jansen gained national prominence as a specialist in treating skin cancers and for his research involving the brown recluse spider bite. He also was responsible for bringing Mohs surgery, a surgical excision technique widely used today to treat recurrent skin cancers, to Arkansas.
Jansen has served as president of the American Dermatologic Association, the American Academy of Dermatology and other national organizations. In 1997, the Academy of Dermatology granted Jansen its highest award, the Gold Medal, for his many contributions to advancing the knowledge of skin cancer, melanoma and other disorders. UAMS awarded him the Distinguished Service Award in 1988, and an endowed chair is being established to honor Jansen and his wife, Frances.
Carl L. Nelson, M.D.
Carl Nelson, M.D., could rightfully be called the “Father of Orthopaedic Surgery” in Arkansas. Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery from 1974 until his death in January 2005, Nelson guided the department’s growth from a staff of two to more than 50 trained professionals who have received national and international recognition for their work.
Nelson was one of the nation’s foremost specialists in hip and knee joint replacement and developed the first practice in Arkansas dedicated solely to joint replacement surgery. His achievements include the first successful attempts at what is known as “bloodless surgery” and the first use and study of the clean air system for operating rooms.
Nelson won numerous awards for excellence as a surgeon, educator, researcher and innovator. In 2000, he was honored with the establishment of the Carl L. Nelson Endowed Chair in Orthopaedic Surgery.
Raymond C. Read, M.D., Ph.D.
Educated and trained in his native England, Raymond Read, M.D., Ph.D., came to the United States in 1944. In 1966, Read left Wayne State University in Detroit to become a professor of surgery at UAMS and to serve as chief of surgery at the Little Rock Veterans Administration Hospital.
A world expert in hernia surgery and a founding member of the American Hernia Society, Read was known for his skills in many areas, including abdominal, vascular and thoracic surgery. Read and Joe Bates, M.D., who was then chief of medicine at the Little Rock VA, led the hospital to preeminence in the entire VA system.
The Association of VA Surgeons awarded him the organization’s Distinguished Service Award. A strong advocate of preventive medicine, Read led the fight to prohibit smoking in VA hospitals.
Carl Rosenbaum Sr., M.D.
Carl Rosenbaum, M.D., was born in 1899 and first became interested in medicine while voluntarily tending to the sick during the influenza outbreak in Little Rock in 1919. After graduating from medical school at Washington University in St. Louis, Rosenbaum practiced as a surgeon in Little Rock and as a country doctor in McGehee, Ark., before joining the faculty of UAMS as an associate professor of surgery. Rosenbaum taught in the College of Medicine for 30 years and practiced vascular surgery at local hospitals.
Dedicated to providing medical care for those who couldn’t afford it, he opened a cancer-detection clinic, and he was instrumental in establishing the State Cancer Commission in 1945. He served as chief of staff at St. Vincent Infirmary, as president of the Arkansas Medical Society and on the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees. He died in 2005 at the age of 105.
A.J. Thompson, M.D.
A 1968 College of Medicine graduate, A.J. Thompson, M.D., founded the Little Rock Cardiology Clinic in 1974. He was a cardiologist for St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Center for 13 years and was instrumental in planning its cardiac facility.
He served as a flight surgeon in the Air Force for two years and was the personal physician to the Thunderbirds. Thompson was governor of the American College of Cardiology in Arkansas and president of the Arkansas affiliate of the American Heart Association. The American College of Physicians Arkansas Chapter awarded him the Robert Abernathy Award for Excellence in Internal Medicine in 1986.
Thompson was named the College of Medicine Distinguished Alumnus, and St. Vincent’s Physician of the Year, just a year before dying of cancer in 1988 at the age of 49. The Class of 1968 established a memorial scholarship in his honor.
Dola Searcy Thompson, M.D.
Dola Searcy Thompson, M.D., a 1949 College of Medicine graduate, introduced progressive innovations in anesthesia after becoming chairman of the UAMS Department of Anesthesiology in 1974.
Thompson opened the Surgical Intensive Care Unit, and the department and its residency program grew tremendously during her 16 years of leadership. While still in medical school, she married fellow classmate Bernard Thompson. After an internship in San Francisco, the Thompsons returned to UAMS where she became the first resident physician in the Department of Anesthesiology. She was later appointed chief of anesthesiology at the VA hospital in Little Rock and served for many years on the UAMS faculty.
The Caduceus Club awarded Thompson the Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1996. She and her husband served as dedicated class agents of the Class of 1949 for more than half a century, until Bernard died in 2003.
Jack Page Whisnant, M.D.
Jack Whisnant, M.D., is internationally known for improving the understanding of cerebrovascular disease and stroke. His population-based studies provided the evidence for the now-established risk factors for stroke.
The 1951 College of Medicine graduate built his career at the Mayo Clinic and Medical School in Rochester, Minn., where he remains an emeritus professor in neurology. Whisnant completed fellowships in internal medicine and neurology at Mayo and then joined the faculty. He has served as chairman of the departments of Neurology and Health Sciences Research, and under his direction Mayo’s Cerebrovascular Clinical Research Center became a national model for developing clinical methods of diagnosis and therapy.
Whisnant has served on numerous committees of the National Institutes of Health, and as president of three national academic neurological organizations. College of Medicine alumni awarded Whisnant the Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1979, and the Mayo Foundation named him a Distinguished Alumnus in 2003.
Thomas H. Wortham, M.D.
A 1953 College of Medicine graduate, Thomas Wortham, M.D., helped expand medical and other community services to meet demand after the opening of the Little Rock Air Force Base in Jacksonville, Ark.
Wortham ran a thriving family practice clinic for 40 years. He rallied community support for funding of a hospital, and then helped establish Rebsamen Medical Center. He served in many capacities at Rebsamen before retiring as vice president in 1999.
He helped develop the first coronary care unit in Arkansas, as well as one of the first paramedic ambulance services. As a member of the Arkansas Board of Correction, Wortham was a catalyst for major improvements in prison health care. He also has served on many UAMS boards and committees, and he continues to volunteer as a clinical preceptor for College of Medicine residents and students at the UAMS Family Medical Center.
The 2006 Hall of Fame Inductee
Charlotte Edwards Maguire, M.D.
Charlotte Edwards Maguire, M.D., made her way to Arkansas more than 60 years ago because her home state of Florida had no medical school at the time. She graduated from the College of Medicine in 1944, the only woman in her class.
Two years later, Maguire became the first woman to establish a private practice in Orlando, Fla., and she later became the first woman president of the Florida Pediatric Society.
Maguire has held many leadership positions in public health in Florida, advocating for children with disabilities, minorities, senior citizens and others in need. She helped establish the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services. She also served as assistant secretary of health and scientific affairs for the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare and was a clinical staff member in pediatrics at the University of Florida.
Maguire has been a longtime benefactor of Florida State University and was an outspoken advocate for the creation of the university’s College of Medicine in 2000, where the medical library is now named in her honor.