Learning Skills Consultations | Peer Tutoring Program
Why past study skills may not work at UAMS.
- Pace and amount of learning is considerably different from pre-preofessional courses.
- Students often say there's more to learn in one UAMS course than in an entire semester of pre-professional courses.
- UAMS coursework is "learning on steroids".
What is Active Learning?
Active learning takes place when information is used, so it will be transferred to long-term memory and can be retrieved (on tests, in clinical, and used in actual practice by health care professionals).
Why does Active Learning work?
- Everything we see, hear, etc. (stimuli) goes into our working memory.
- All stimuli are either forgotten (eventually) or transferred into short-term or working memory.
- Stimuli in working memory are:
- Remembered if they are used and transferred into long term memory and retrieved back into working memory
- Forgotten if NOT used.
If you have questions or comments about this page please
Office of Educational Development, eLearning
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
4301 W. Markham St., #595
Little Rock, AR 72205
Contact UAMS Copyright Statement