The ICM Pin
The ICM pin was designed to symbolize the professional development of the medical student. A profession requires its practitioners to:
- acquire expert skills and knowledge through scholarly training;
- place the client's/patient's interests above one's own; and
- demonstrate ethical behavior and self-discipline.
The letters of ICM were used to portray these essential elements:
- Integrity = regard for truth, fairness, and accountability
- Compassion = respect for the patient's interests
- Mastery = skills and knowledge
These words overlay the symbol of Asclepius, an early Greek physician who, through myth and legend, became revered as the God of healing.
The symbol of Asclepius, a serpent wrapped around a staff, portrays "healing".
The background is red, a strong emotionally charged color that is associated with love, respect, joy, passion, health, and energy.