Policy of the
Graduate Medical Education Committee
Section: Resident Support/Conditions for Appointment
Subject: Reduction in Size or Closure of a Training Program
Date Developed: 2/99
Last Review/Revision: 10/05, 1/08, 7/10
Replaces: policy of the same name, dated 1/02
ACGME Requirement: Institutional II.D.2
To describe the circumstances and procedures for reducing the size of or closing a residency (includes fellowship) program or closure of the Institution.
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Medicine (UAMS-COM) recognizes the need and benefits of graduate medical education and sponsors residency programs which emphasize personal, clinical and professional development. The UAMS-COM ensures, through the GMEC Internal Review process, that its residency programs are in substantial compliance with the institutional, common and special requirements of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and its individual Residency Review Committees.
Circumstances that may lead to reduction in the size of or closing a program may include, but are not limited to:
1. Failure of the program to correct concerns and/or comply with recommendations of the GMEC based on the Internal Review of the program.
2. Failure of the program to correct citations of the ACGME.
3. Decreased financial or educational resources to support the program.
Circumstances that may lead to closure of the Sponsoring Institution include, but are not limited to:
1. Failure to demonstrate substantial compliance with the requirements.
2. Delinquency in payment of fees according to the ACGME polices and procedures.
3. Failure to undergo a site-visit.
4. Failure to follow directives associated with an accreditation action.
5. Failure to supply a Review Committee with requested information (e.g., Progress Report, operative data, resident survey).
6. Failure to maintain current data through Web ADS.
The following procedure will be followed in the event that the UAMS-COM and/or a Program Director decide to reduce the number of positions in or close a program or close the Institution:
1. The residents currently in the program will be notified immediately.
2. If possible the number of positions will be reduced over a period of time so residents in the program can complete their education.
3. If this is not possible, the Program Director will assist the residents to the extent possible to find a new AGCME-accredited program in which they can continue their education.
4. The program director must receive approval and documented support from the GMEC prior to submitting the request for reduction in size or closure of a training program to the ACGME.