Policy of the Graduate Medical Education Committee
Section: Educational Administration
Subject: Correction of Deficiencies in ACGME Resident Survey
Date Developed: 10/2008
ACGME Requirements: Institutional IA.2, I.D.4; Common IA, II.A.4.f.
2. The following procedure will occur for programs that the ACGME identifies as deficient on the ACGME Resident Survey.
Deficient: Failure to reach a 70% completion rate on the ACGME survey or identified by the ACGME as having potential non-compliance with duty hours and other aspects of the learning environment.
1. When the survey is next opened for the program, the program director will schedule at a minimum a 1 hour block of time during which residents/fellows will be educated about requirements covered in the survey, and ensure the resident sufficient time to thoughtfully complete the survey.
2. Any resident unable to attend this block of time with peers, will attend an educational session of the same content with his/her mentor or other program leadership before completing the survey. This educational session will also ensure sufficient time to thoughtfully complete the survey.
3. The program director will schedule a representative of the GMEC Executive Committee to be present during the educational session.
4. When all residents have been educated and completed the survey, the program will submit documentation to the GMEC which outlines information presented at the educational session.
5. The ACGME Website has several tools for the program to use in this process. http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/Resident_Survey/res_Index.asp
6. This procedure is to be informative to residents of the intent of survey questions as well as to ensure sufficient time to thoughtfully complete the survey. Telling residents how to answer questions or any type of coercion is not acceptable.