Policy of the Graduate Medical Education Committee
Section: Educational Administration
Subject: Sponsorship of New Residency (& Fellowship) Programs
Date Developed: 12/99
Last Review/Revision: 2/09
Replaces: policy of same name 12/03
ACGME Requirements Source: Institutional IA &B; Common IA
The UAMS-COM sponsors only residency programs that are approved by the American Medical Association, recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties, and can be accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). All new residency programs must support the strategic plan of the UAMS-COM and the participating institutions and consider the fiscal situations of each entity. All new residency programs must be approved by the Dean of the COM for sponsorship prior to the implementation of the program. An application for a new program may be submitted by a faculty member with the signature of the department chair according to the procedure specified below. Failure to obtain approval for sponsorship prior to the start date of the program will result in the department incurring all costs of the program, including the ACGME application and site visit fees, resident stipends and benefits.
All new programs must seek ACGME accreditation within two years following approval for sponsorship. All new programs operate under the auspices of the GME Committee (GMEC) according to the GMEC Policy #1.100 Graduate Medical Education Programs and Residents.The Graduate Medical Education Committee reserves the right to deny an application for a new program to the ACGME based upon the accreditation cycle length and content of citations for all programs within the department
1. A faculty member must meet with the Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education (ADGME) to discuss sponsorship of the desired new program.
2. If given ADGME approval, the faculty member and Department Chair must submit a completed new Program Self-Study Questionnaire (PSSQ), including all supplements requested in this document, to the GME Office for approval.
3. A New Program Sponsorship Panel consisting of the Chair of the GMEC, the Associate Dean for GME, along with other members of the GME Office will review the PSSQ and supplemental information.
4. Following the review of the completed information, the New Program Sponsorship Panel will meet with the faculty member and/or department chair to discuss the information submitted. The Panel will request further information or clarification as necessary.
5. Based on this review, the Associate Dean for GME submits a recommendation for sponsorship to the Dean.
6. The Dean makes the final decision regarding approval for sponsorship of a new program. The ADGME notifies the Department Chair and Program Director of the decision.
7. If the sponsorship by the COM is approved, the Program Director completes the ACGME application for accreditation (Program Information Form) and must submit it to the Associate Dean for GME for GMEC review and approval approximately 6 weeks prior to sending it to the ACGME.