Media Services provides both technical and general
photography services to UAMS faculty, staff and students. The department also
produces photographic images on its own from time to time for general use in
illustrating various UAMS publications. This policy describes how images will be
stored and made available for use of the UAMS community.
Photographic and digital images created by Media Services
people in the course of their work and funded with university funds are the
property of the University of Arkansas and are copyrighted by the university at
the moment of creation. General-purpose images that belong to the University
should be made available for official use to the entire UAMS community.
I. IMAGE CAPTURE
- UAMS patients are photographed only at the request of a UAMS physician.
Patients are not photographed in a manner that allows them to be recognized
from the photo unless a valid patient release has been secured. Informed
consent is the responsibility of the ordering physician. Media Services
personnel responsibility is limited to obtaining an authorizing signature or
verifying that such a document exists.
- Model releases will be obtained by Media Services people when necessary.
Model releases are not necessary when photographing students and employees
of UAMS performing normal activities for their position or status.
- Media Services will maintain files of patient and model releases.
- Generally, original images are archived in Media Services and duplicates
or copies are provided to the customer.
II. Image recording and filing
- General purpose images that may have future use potential will be stored
by Media Services in a secure manner to protect them from damage and extend
their life span in the UAMS Image Bank. Current practice is to digitally
scan images at low resolution when added to the collection and index records
through an asset management data base that allows the collection to be
searched and images viewed without handling the original image.
- The following data are recorded when an image is added to the UAMS Image
1. Date of image capture
2. Category keywords to enable image retrieval
3. Names of recognizable people and / or places in the image
4. A description of the activity pictured in the image
5. Notes of any restrictions that may apply to future use of the image (see
- Subject to the restrictions described below, images in the UAMS Image Bank
are available to all UAMS people, who may place orders for the use of images
for official university purposes. Prints, copies or duplicates will be
provided by Media Services at an appropriate price.
- Also subject to the restrictions described below, non-UAMS people or
entities may also place orders for images stored in the UAMS Image Bank, and
orders may be fulfilled when deemed to be in the best interest of the
university. Prints, copies or duplicates will be provided by Media Services
at an appropriate price. In addition to the restrictions described below,
the university reserves the right to refuse any requests for use of images.
- Patient photographs are released only to the requesting physician or to
the Department of Health Information Management (Medical Records) at the
physician’s request. Images with teaching value may be stored in a
restricted area of the UAMS Image Bank if permitted by the ordering
physician and the patient’s release.
- General-purpose images acquired by Media Services professionals acting
on their own initiative are normally added to the UAMS Image Bank as soon
as they’re catalogued.
- General-purpose and/or biomedical images commissioned by UAMS clients
for the purpose of scholarly publication (e.g. journal article, textbook
illustrations, etc.) are considered the author’s intellectual property
in accordance with University of Arkansas Patent and Copyright Policy.
Such images may be added to the UAMS Image Bank at the author’s option
and with any additional restrictions for use that may be specified by the
- General-purpose images "made for hire" (i.e., a UAMS
department pays Media Services with university funds to create the image)
are considered the property of the University of Arkansas rather than of
the specific UAMS entity that commissioned their creation. However, it’s
recognized that in some cases overuse of an image may compromise the
effectiveness of a publication or a campaign. In those cases, the
department may request that an image be excluded from the UAMS Image Bank
until a certain "exclusive use" period of time has elapsed.
Unless an "exclusive use" period is requested, images "made
for hire" are added to the UAMS Image Bank as soon as they’re
It will be the responsibility of Media Services to verify
that general-purpose images produced may be used without "exclusive
use" restrictions. Requests for periods of exclusive use exceeding six
months will be presented to the Media Services Advisory Committee for a
- Other restrictions or conditions that may be requested by the
customer will be presented to the Media Services Advisory Committee for a