UAMS ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDE
PAGE: 1 of 1
|SUBJECT:||GENERAL EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT & ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE|
The purpose of this policy is to inform all departments within the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) of the uniform guidelines under which attendance at on-campus General Education Development (GED) courses and English as a Second Language (ESL) courses may be scheduled. The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) recognizes the value of education and supports employees completing and/or enhancing their education.
(1) GED preparation courses are designed for employees, contract employees and family members who do not have their high school diplomas.
(2) ESL courses are designed for employees, contract employees and family members for whom English is not their primary language.
(3) There is no charge for participation in a GED preparation or ESL courses, however, departments may be asked to pay for books and supplies for employees or contract employees. Family members are responsible for paying for their own books and supplies.
(4) Reasonable efforts will be made to provide employees with flexible work schedules to accommodate GED preparation or ESL courses.
(5) In order to participate in GED preparation or ESL courses, an employee or contract employee must be registered by his or her supervisor. Employees may register family members directly with the Office of Human Resources.
(6) Questions regarding UAMS employee education programs should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at 686-5650. For more information please visit our website at www.uams.edu/ohr/trng.asp