UAMS ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDE
FOR EMPLOYEE PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH
UAMS recognizes that UAMS employees can contribute to the work of the University
by participating in research projects as human subjects. In this regard, such
activities are beyond the scope of any job description, and the participating
employee may be paid above his normal salary for such activities. However, the
amount must be included in total employee compensation for tax purposes. These
procedures will establish uniform guidelines for such payments.
- Employees (classified and non-classified) may be paid additional amounts for their voluntary participation as subjects of UAMS research in amounts determined by the Principal Investigator. The amount of compensation, when added to regular salary, may not exceed the Line Item Maximum salary established for the regular position of the participating employee.
- The project must be one which conforms to Administrative Guide section 12.1, Research Administration, and is formally approved by the UAMS Institutional Review Board (IRB). See http://www.uams.edu/ora/irb/index.htm
- If time off is taken for this participation, the employee must coordinate this with the supervisor or department head: vacation/annual leave may be charged to the employee.
- Following the completion of tasks or services by the employee, the Principal Investigator or his business manager will submit a request for payment: the attached Excel template must be used.
- When approved, the request will be forwarded to Finance/Payroll for payment.
- All payments to employees will be paid through normal payroll process and will be subject to all taxes and mandatory withholdings. Such payments are not eligible for retirement contribution or employer matching.
1 UAMS Policy 12.01.03