UAMS ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDE
AND OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY
The purpose of this policy is to inform departments within
the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) of the procedures to be
followed in the procurement, receipt, storage and transfer of radioactive
materials within the UAMS campus.
- Departments initiating Purchase Order Requests for radioactive materials must notify the Department of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) and obtain appropriate OHS approval prior to issuance of a Purchase Order by the Purchasing Department. The Purchase Order shall indicate the radioactive nature of the material, the chemical form, total activity in millicuries (mCi) or microcuries (ųCi), the name of the approved user authorizing the order, the place of delivery as Room G-154, and the present UAMS radioactive materials license number. The only exception to this policy is the Department of Nuclear Medicine. The Department of Nuclear Medicine will order unit dose radiopharmaceuticals from the Nuclear Pharmacy upon order of the Nuclear Medicine Physician.
- Departments "calling in" a Purchase Order Request (confirmation orders) for radioactive materials must call in the Purchase Order Number to the Department of Occupational Health and Safety so that the shipment may be dispatched to the proper person upon arrival.
- Radioactive materials received during "normal" work hours will be delivered by the vendor to the Department of Occupational Health and Safety, G-154. OHS will unpack and check the material for shipping damage, log the material in, prepare disposal forms, and store the material until the requesting authorized user signs for receipt of the material.
- Radioactive materials received after "normal" working hours, on weekends, or holidays will be delivered by the UAMS Police Department to Room G172. The material will be placed in a refrigerator (without unpacking) until 8:00 a.m. of the next workday. At this time the procedures for normal workday delivery of radioactive material must be followed.
- Departments expecting delivery of radioactive material requiring special attention should contact OHS at 686-5550 or 686-7803 to make special arrangements for delivery. Examples of radioactive material requiring special attention include the following:
a. Material which should not be refrigerated
b. Material which should be frozen
c. Material to be delivered to the requesting department on the weekend or holiday
- Purchase of radioactive material under an individual license or under another institutional license and transferred to UAMS must have prior approval of the Department of Occupational Health and Safety. The person to receive this material must obtain approval from the Radiation Safety Committee for receipt of the specific isotope, and receipt of that isotope must not result in exceeding his or UAMS’ possession limit.
- No transfer of radioactive material can occur without prior approval from the Radiation Safety Office. Radioactive material loaned or given to an individual other than the original purchaser remains the responsibility of the original purchaser until the Department of Occupational Health and Safety makes the official transfer. .
- Upon termination of the use of radioactive materials, the approved user must notify the Radiation Safety Officer (686-7803) of this intent. The Radiation Safety Officer will then assist the user in arranging for the disposition of any unused materials. Alternatives for disposition to be considered are:
a. Transfer to a new employer’s license
b. Transfer to other individuals under the UAMS license
SIGNATURE: ________________________________ DATE: _________________________