UAMS ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDE
|AREA:||TRAVEL AND REIMBURSEMENT|
|SUBJECT:||AUTHORITY TO TRAVEL1/30/2004|
The purpose of this policy is to notify departments within the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) of procedures for requesting authority to travel.
Prior to traveling, a Request for Travel Authorization PR05) MUST be entered in SAP, the itinerary printed, approved (signed) by the Traveler, Supervisor, and Departmental Travel Administrator and sent to the UAMS Travel Office. The Request for Travel Authorization:
· Serves as documentation for insurance purposes
· Authorization to incur reimbursable travel expenses
· Required support document for Travel Advances1
· Provides information used to file the Travel Expense Statement2
· Prepayment of conference registration fees and airfare
Even if no expenses are expected, a Request for Travel Authorization should be entered and filed prior to leaving on the trip for insurance documentation. (Do not file a Request for Travel Authorization on returning from the trip unless expenses are to be claimed.)
PROCEDURE (OFFICIAL GUESTS)
(1) Official Guests of the University such as distinguished lecturers or candidates for employment are not required to obtain prior approval to travel at agency expense. A Purchase Request should be submitted instead.
(2) A “Check with Order” will be processed payable to the guest if it is submitted with proper documentation of expenditures. Proper documentation includes original commercial receipt showing payment for meals and lodging, passenger coupons for airfare, and signed written statements for mileage reimbursement for the use of private automobiles.
PROCEDURE (BLANKET TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION)
Employees who travel on a recurring basis within the State of Arkansas as a routine part of their job may obtain a Blanket Travel Authorization. A separate Request for Travel Authorization is not required for each of the trips covered by the Blanket Travel Authorization. However, such an employee should still file a Request for Travel Authorization for conferences and specific events to facilitate payment of registration fees and other items not considered in the Blanket Travel Authorization.
A new Blanket Travel Authorization must be completed and approved each fiscal year.
1 UAMS Policy 8.4.03
2 UAMS Policy 8.4.05
REQUEST FOR TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION INSTRUCTIONS
COMPLETING THE FORM
(1) Enter the required data in SAP.
(2) Print and sign the form.
(3) Obtain the signature of your department’s Travel Administrator. Many departments also require that this document be signed by your supervisor or department head.
(4) Submit the form with appropriate documentation such as a conference brochure, meeting announcement or explanation of the purpose of the trip to the Travel Office. The nature of the trip will determine what type of documentation is available and necessary. Be sure that the meeting dates are stated in this literature. Planned travel dates and expected expenses must be consistent with the nature and purpose of the trip.
(5) Contact the Travel Office at (501) 686-6828 if you need additional information.