UAMS ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDE
||SPECIAL ENTRY RATES FOR EXCEPTIONALLY WELL
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WITHIN CLASSIFIED POSITIONS
The purpose of this policy is to inform departments of the procedures
for requesting entry rate salaries above the normal classified pay level-I entry for
exceptional job applicants, except for positions with Labor Market Special Entry Rates
established (see 4.2.06) and internal promotions and
reclassifications, applicants for classified positions may not be hired at rates above pay
Level-I for the position, without approval from the State Office of Personnel Management
Approval of a Special Entry Rate is based upon an applicants
qualifications for the position. An applicant with substantially more education and/or
experience related to the position than the stated required minimum qualifications for
that position may qualify.
- A department requesting a Special Entry Rate must provide the following information to
the Office of Human Resources (OHR):
- A completed UAMS employment application for the applicant of choice;
- A completed resume for the applicant of choice;
- An application or resume for two or three alternative applicants for the position;
- The date each applicant was interviewed and the name of the UAMS employee who conducted
- The rate of pay requested for the applicant of choice;
- The reasons for selection of the applicant of choice;
- The reasons for non-selection of the other applicants;
- The dates and locations (publications) of advertisements for the position.
- OHR will review the information, advise the department of the feasibility of a Special
Entry Rate and, if appropriate, prepare the necessary forms for submission to OPM.
- Special Entry Rates up to and including the midpoint of pay level-II for the
position grade may be approved by OPM. Requests may be submitted at any time during the
fiscal year and typically require two weeks for response from OPM.
- Special Entry Rates beyond the midpoint of pay level-II for the position grade require
the approval of the Legislative Council. Such requests must be submitted to OPM by the
last Monday of the month. Upon review OPM will submit the request to the Legislative
Council at their scheduled meeting on the third Wednesday of the following month. Requests
requiring review by the Legislative Council typically require an additional six to eight
weeks for response.
- An applicant may not be placed into the position at the normal entry rate or at the
requested rate pending response from OPM. The applicant may be placed in the OHR Temporary
Staffing Services (U-Temps) pool at pay level-I during the request process.
- For additional information or assistance contact the OHR at 686-5650.